|Super Mario 64 DS|
|Release date(s)|| December 2, 2004|
November 21, 2004
March 11, 2005
|Mode(s)||Single Player, multiplayer|
|Rating(s)|| ESRB: Everyone|
PEGI: Three & Up
|Media||Nintendo DS Game Card|
Super Mario 64 DS is a Nintendo DS remake of the popular Nintendo 64 game, Super Mario 64. It features touchscreen control, wireless multiplayer, and mini-games. At first the game was referred to as Super Mario 64x4 because of the 4 Player wireless multiplayer, and the 4 playable characters in the game, but they changed it for the final production.
- Mario - Mario will be the second character that will be playable. He's been trapped by King Goomba who is mad about Mario bossing him around in the past. Mario will be able to perform attacks like the punch, Ground Pound, wall-jump, and many more. His Flower Power is the ability to puff up like a balloon and float in the air, which was first introduced in the game Super Mario World. If he pressed a P-Block, occasionally a pair of Wings will appear. If Mario gets it, He would be Wing Mario.
- Yoshi - You first see Yoshi at the beginning of the game when Yoshi gets informed by a Lakitu that Mario and the rest of the gang haven't returned after awhile in the castle. So Yoshi goes to investigate and realizes that Bowser has captured them all and taken them captive, now Yoshi will have to track his friends down, and stop Bowser. Yoshi's moves include a tongue lick, flutter kick, egg throw, and others. His Flower Power is the ability to shoot fire from his mouth, which is much like the ability that Yoshi can do in Super Mario World
- Luigi - Luigi has been imprisoned by King Boo. Mario will have to find his way up to where King Boo is and defeat him to collect the key to save Luigi. Luigi's abilities include a minor flutter kick, the ability to run over water for a short time, and other things as well. His Flower Power is the ability to turn invisible.
- Wario - Wario is imprisoned by Chief Chilly, and Luigi is the only one that can save him. Once he does, Wario will be available to choose from as a playable character. Wario's attacks include a powerful punch, swinging ability, and more. His flower Power is the ability to turn into metal, which was first introduced in Super Mario 64.
Other Main Characters-
Changes from the originalEdit
- Wario, Luigi, and Yoshi are now playable characters.
- The areas have been redesigned.
- The area stages have been reordered and stages have either been added or removed.
- The castle and its surroundings have had numerous changes, the small room with three Peach windows being replaced with the character room being an example.
- Regular rabbits have replaced MIPS. The first one gives Yoshi the key to the castle while all the rest give the player a key to unlocking minigames.
- The graphics have been updated.
- The indication of a life reduction after returning from the area is now made more apparent
- Updates accounting for the touch screen have been added.
- Maps of the area the player is displayed on is on the touch screen while the top screen is the main screen.
- Instructions corresponding to the new characters have been added
- By default, the R button centers the camera while the L button acts as the crouch button (the L button being the closest equivalent to the Z button on the N64 controller, similar to how the same button on the GameCube controller corresponds to Z on Virtual Console games).
- Mario does not say anything on the Nintendo screen, and says "Me! Mario!" at the title screen. In the original, on the Nintendo screen he would say "It's-a me! Mario!" and on the title screen, he would say "Hello!"
- The title screen has been updated to correspond with the new features of the game.
- When the DS is closed, Mario will say "Bye bye!" as the game enters sleep mode, which the N64 version is incapable of. When the DS is opened again, Mario will say "Me! Mario!"
- As the DS does not have analog sticks, the stylus acts as a substitute.
- Mario does not appear in the game over screen. In the original, his head would pop up as he is saying "game over", bearing an exhausted expression.
- Bob-omb Battlefield
- Whomp's Fortress
- Jolly Roger Bay
- Cool Cool Mountain
- Big Boo's Haunt
- Hazy Maze Cave
- Lethal Lava Land
- Shifting Sand Land
- Dire Dire Docks
- Snowman's Land
- Wet-Dry World
- Tall Tall Mountain
- Tiny Huge Island
- Tick-Tock Clock
- Rainbow Ride
- Bowser in the Dark World
- Bowser's Fire Sea
- Bowser in the Sky
- Sunshine Isles
- The Princess's Secret Slide
- The Secret Aquarium
- Secret Battle Fort
- ? Switch
- Secret Under the Moat
- Over the Rainbows
- Goomboss Course
- King Boo's Course
- Chief Chilly's Course
|Bob-omb Battlefield||Big Bob-omb on the Summit||Footrace with Koopa the Quick||5 Silver Stars!||Big Bob-omb's Revenge||Mario Wings to the Sky||Find the 8 Red Coins||Behind Chain Chomp's Gate||100 Coins|
|Whomp's Fortress||Chip Off Whomp's Block||To the Top of the Fortress||Shoot into the Wild Blue||Red Coins on the Floating Isle||Fall onto the Caged Island||Blast Away The Wall||Switch Star of the Fortress||100 Coins|
|Jolly Roger Bay||Plunder in the Sunken Ship||Can the Eel Come Out to Play?||Treasure of the Ocean Cave||Blast to the Stone Pillar!||Red Coins on the Ship Afloat||Switch Star of the Bay||Through the Jet Stream||100 Coins|
|Cool, Cool Mountain||Slip Slidin' Away||Li'l Penguin Lost||Big Penguin Race||Frosty Slide for 8 Red Coins||Snowman's Lost His Head||Mario's Super Wall Kick||Switch Star of Cool, Cool Mountain||100 Coins|
|Big Boo's Haunt||Go on a Ghost Hunt||Ride Big Boo's Merry-Go-Round||Secret of the Haunted Books||Seek the 8 Red Coins||Big Boo's Balcony||Eye to Eye in the Secret Room||Switch Star in the Basement||100 Coins|
|Hazy Maze Cave||Swimming Beast in the Cavern||Elevate for 8 Red Coins||Metal-Head Wario Can Move!||Navigating the Toxic Maze||A-Maze-Ing Emergency Exit||Watch Out for Falling Rocks||Underground Switch Star||100 Coins|
|Lethal Lava Land||Boil the Big Bully||Bully the Bullies||8-Coin Puzzle with 15 Pieces||Red-Hot Log Rolling||Hot-Foot-It Into the Volcano||In the Volcano||Flaming Silver Stars||100 Coins|
|Shifting Sand Land||In the Talons of the Big Bird||Shining Atop the Pyramid||Inside the Ancient Pyramid||Stand Tall on the Four Pillars||Tox Box Switch Star||Pyramid Puzzle||Free Flying for 8 Red Coins||100 Coins|
|Dire, Dire Docks||Board Bowser's Sub||Chests in the Current||Pole-Jumping for Red Coins||Through the Jet Stream||Koopa Surfin' Switch Star||Inside the Cage||The Manta Ray's Reward||100 Coins|
|Snowman's Land||Snowman's Big Head||Chill with the Bully||Yoshi's Ice Sculpture||Whirl from the Freezing Pond||Snowman's Silver Star||Into the Igloo||Red Coins in the House||100 Coins|
|Wet-Dry World||Shocking Arrow Lifts||Top o' the Town||5 Secrets in the Shallows & Sky||Express Elevator—Hurry Up||Go to Town for Red Coins||Quick Race Through Downtown||Soaked Silver Stars||100 Coins|
|Tall, Tall Mountain||Scale the Mountain||Mystery of the Monkey Cage||Scary 'Shrooms, Red Coins||Mysterious Mountainside||Blast to the Lonely Mushroom||5 Secrets of the Mountain||Breathtaking View from the Bridge||100 Coins|
|Tiny-Huge Island||Pluck the Piranha Flower||The Tip top of the Huge Island||Rematch with Koopa the Quick||Klepto the Condor||Wiggler's Red Coins||Make Wiggler Squirm||Switch Star on the Island||100 Coins|
|Tick Tock Clock||Luigi in the Cage||The Pendulum Switch Star||Get a Hand||Stomp on the Thwomp||Timed Jumps on Moving Bars||Stop Time for Red Coins||Tick Tock Silver Stars||100 Coins|
|Rainbow Ride||Cruiser Crossing the Rainbow||The Big House in the Sky||Coins Amassed in a Maze||Swingin' in the Breeze||Tricky Triangles||Somewhere Over the Rainbow||Switch Star of the Manor||100 Coins|
|Bowser in the Dark World||Red Coins of the Dark World||Switch Star of the Dark World|
|Bowser in the Fire Sea||The Fire Sea's Red Coins||Fire Sea Switch Star|
|Bowser in the Sky||Red Coins in the Sky||Switch Star of the Sky|
|? Switch Course||Red Coins Above the Tower|
|Behind the Waterfall||Red Coins of the Deep||Follow the Coin Arrow|
|Under the Moat||Red Coins Under the Moat||Switch Star Under the Moat|
|Princess' Secret Slide||The Secret Slide||The Secret Slide Revisited (finish in less than 21 seconds)|
|The Secret Aquarium||Red Coins in the Aquarium|
|Over The Rainbow||Red Coins in the Clouds||The Secret Black Box|
|Goomboss Battle||Goomboss' Red Coin Challenge||Wall Kick Switch Star|
|Big Boo Battle||Haunted Coin Hunt||The Secret of the Portrait|
|Chief Chilly Challenge||Chief Chilly's Red Coins||Metal-Head Wario Can Really Move|
|Sunshine Isles||Sunny Silver Stars|
|The Secret of Battle Fort||Silver Stars of Battle Fort|
|Princess Toadstool's Castle||8 Glowing Rabbits||Toad in the Basement||Toad under the Stairs||Toad by the Clock||Red Coins of the Courtyard||The Secret of the Mirror|
Minigames can be unlocked by finding every bunny with Mario, Luigi, Wario and Yoshi (this does not include the shiny bunnies). Yoshi's bunnies are gold, Mario's are pink, Wario's are orange and Luigi's are green. There is also a DS download play game at the beginning menu just select VS and then you can hook up with your friends on DS download play. You can also practice on your own in 1 player mode just press start and then it will say start practice and press yes and select any of the arenas and away you go.
Waluigi April Fool's JokeEdit
Waluigi was rumored to be a playable character. This all started when a page called "Purple Prizes" appeared in the 2005 April Fools Nintendo Power. It said to get Waluigi you had to get all 150 stars and be extremeley fast with Koopa the Quick (a character who races you in the stages Bob-Omb Battlefield and Tiny-Huge Island), then a switch will appear in a random place that will make the blank door (the noiseless room with one of the Power Stars) in the character changing room a purple door with the Greek Γ symbol on it. Then it says you have to fight an unknown character called the Rabbit King for the key. There are other rumors about this black square/box that accidentally appeared and can only be seen on the castle's file select picture on the far right wall. They say you have to unlock the front cannon and aim where it is and it'll break, revealing a wormhole on Peach's painting that leads to a Waluigi painting. This is very similar to when Luigi was rumored to be playable in the original version and once again, the rumor was later proven false. It was eventually revealed that the black square/box was just a ledge where one of the rabbits was originally supposed to be, and that Nintendo just forgot to take the ledge out of the file screen.
- The music for the minigames menu is the overworld theme for world 1 of Super Mario Bros. 3
- The feather from Super Mario World appears in various minigames
- The artwork for the slots is designed after Super Mario Bros.